[Python-au] httplib vs urllib2

Stephen Thorne stephen at thorne.id.au
Tue Feb 16 03:16:53 UTC 2010

On 2010-02-16, Wilmar Sulaiman wrote:
> I am really confused between these two, they appear to be similar in
> terms functionality. What is the main different between two? In which
> scenario one is better than another.
>
> At the moment, I am using httplib. Should I just use either one or it
> is a good practice to use both in a code. I have not done enough
> googling but it seems that httplib do not suppot http proxy. I am
> looking for guidance whether to use urllib2 entirely in my code or
> httplib.

urllib2 is a more high level interface, and uses httplib under the hood.
Neither are very advanced or feature complete, and have suffered the
bitrot that all code that remains in the standard library has suffered.
Bugfixed but not improved.

If you want a highly capable http interface, i recommend something
like http://urlgrabber.baseurl.org/

--
Regards,
Stephen Thorne