[Python-au] running a socket server as deamon

James Alford mydnite1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 01:31:13 UTC 2010

Hi All

The socket server is just using the socket library and not the actual
server libraries.  Its is fairly robust, tested with a range of
different client socket programs and terminals.

@Daryl Tester
For some reason it wasn't accepting connections and I thought that it
had crashed.  The centos firewall just hadn't been configured properly
for that port, host was using apf not iptables.  I really want to
write it as a daemon, I agree that the monitor program is a bit of a
bad solution.

@Richard Jones
Thanks for the tip on stdout, I'm using the logging library but I'm
also still printing some info just for my purposes.  The init step in
the daemon looks like exactly what I want.

@Everyone else
Thanks for your comments, I will give http://supervisord.org/ a look.
I have a couple of other projects coming up where this will come in
very handy.