[Python-au] non-web2.0 companies and python?

Kevin Littlejohn darius at obsidian.com.au
Sat Oct 3 22:24:33 UTC 2009

Finding python people generally is tricky - we've previously had to resort
to taking Java people in and retraining them.  That seems to work well
enough.  We also hire more on how people fit into the office than on their
immediate skillset, though - better to have someone that can work with the
rest of the team and has to learn some technology, than someone who doesn't
get along but is a whiz.
I can recommend, if you're looking at juniors, getting in touch with the
local Universities and asking them about placement programs - most of them
have some form of "work experience" program available.  We've had very good
luck with that so far - can be a good way to trial workers, and they're
usually keen as.  But they do need mentoring or training, so it's probably
more for established than new businesses.

KJL

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Aaron Wallis <d2kagw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> Same here, I run a new business that develops applications that aren't "web
> 2.0".
> And I have to agree with David. Finding the right people has been VERY
> difficult.
>
> Aaron.
>
> On 04/10/2009, at 6:22 AM, David Arnold wrote:
>
>  On 30/09/2009, at 1:49 AM, Andi Raicu wrote:
>>
>>  I have a question to the Australian community (after all, I'll have to
>>> hire some Python programmers): would you work for a startup creating modern
>>> software from scratch that's *not* Web 2.0?
>>>

>> FWIW, yes.
>>
>> My company currently employs about 20 non-Web-2.0 programmers spread
>> between Brisbane and New York.  Our biggest problem is finding suitable
>> people.
>>
>> Good luck with the company,

Kevin Littlejohn
Obsidian Consulting Group