[Python-au] VortexDNA Sign On As a Silver Sponsor and Follow Us On Twitter/Identi.ca!

Kevin Littlejohn darius at obsidian.com.au
Wed Aug 26 23:03:32 UTC 2009

All well and good, but no other conference I've ever seen does this.
Sponsors get mention at the conference, get names on bags etc.  I'm
fairly sure the conference isn't selling the sponsor advertising on
the python-au list.  Frankly, it looks a little naff to have these
notices dribbled out, makes the conference look smaller than it is if
they're this excited by every new sponsor.

As someone who works for a small company, I would neither be expecting
nor be particularly happy with having this sort of publicity.  People
are _very_ sensitive about advertising, and most if not all of the
python/zope companies I'm aware of in .au understand that and are
careful about not bugging people.  The conference organisers would be
better placed not walking that fine line between spam and
announcements.

FWIW, YMMV.

KevinL

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Andrew
Stuart<andrew.stuart at flatraterecruitment.com.au> wrote:
> Surely the Python community should be pleased to hear about sponsors
> interested in supporting them and should want to do the sponsors the
> courtesy of listening attentively to their sponsorship messages.
>
> The whole point of sponsorship is that the sponsors have a message they want
> the community to hear.  If the community is behaving like a bunch of
> anticapitalist schoolchildren then the sponsors won't come back.  It would
> have been nicer to hear messages to the mailing list saying "great! thanks
> to sponsor X! I have visited their website to see what they have to offer!"
>  Instead, dogmatic and difficult to get along with propellers heads chase
> off the sponsors like seagulls, yelling SPAMMERS GO AWAY WE DON'T WANT YOU
>
> Unless you work for a not-for-profit or government - or don't work at all
> such as students, you are working for a company that has to sell stuff to
> pay your salary.  Selling stuff requires advertising, promotion, sales and
> marketing.  If you are totally anti-capitalism then you should not be
> working for any organisation that needs to earn its money in the real world
> to pay your salary.
>
> Andrew
>
> On 26/08/2009, at 10:10 PM, Mary Gardiner wrote:
>
> Does python-au really need to know about every sponsorship arrangement
> Kiwi PyCon arrives at?
>
>> From my point of view, it's unsolicited commercial email. I'm pleased
>
> for Kiwi PyCon but... I'm subscribed to python-au for Australiasian
> Python community and technical discussion, not as a captive audience for
> sponsorship arrangements.
>
> -Mary

> Click here to report this message as spam:
> https://login.mailguard.com.au/report/1y9evgK8zE/5qwe5FIISDv9Hx0y7aP44N/0

Kevin Littlejohn
Obsidian Consulting Group
ph: +613 9355 7844