[Python-au] py2exe mscvr90.dll problem

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Thu Jul 16 01:12:54 UTC 2009

Andrew Milton wrote:
> +-------[ Mike Dewhirst ]----------------------
> | I seem to have dug myself into a hole and hope some py2exe person might
> | be able to help.

<snip>

> You need the appropriate visual C++ runtime redistributable installed.
> What the other guides do, is to tell you to just grab "some" files that it
> normally installs and put them into your distribution.

<snip>

Andrew

Thanks for your py2exe help - it is all sorted now. The real problem I
had was that the Windows test machine - the only one I could get my
hands on at the time - had TEMP and TMP environment variables pointing
to two different temporary directories! Everyone knows (now) that they
should point to just one.

The very small project was to do some filesystem housekeeping before a
WinZip self-extracting zip file automatically launched an InstallShield
kit which updated an existing application. The reason for doing this is
that the app is changing from CTree to SQLite and one of the many
existing tables needed to be pre-converted to SQLite.

My python code worked using the TEMP variable. The WinZip kit somehow
uses both TEMP and TMP variables which totally didn't matter on my dev
machine because they both point to the same directory. Unfortunately, it
didn't work on the test machine unless Python was installed and
msvcr90.dll and manifest file were already installed in the proper
system path. That persuaded me I had a py2exe problem putting the
dreaded Microsoft dll and/or manifest in the right place.

To cut a two-day story short, I now know more than I did and I now have
a useful setup.py for constructing py2exe executables with Python 2.6.
I'll post my setup.py in a separate email.

Mike