[Python-au] portable python for linux

Ryan Kelly ryan at rfk.id.au
Tue May 5 08:53:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 23:44 -0700, Tom Sparks wrote:
> hello everyone,
> Is there a portable python for linux?

I've never tried it, but the "bbfreeze" module claims to produce
standalone executables that work on linux:

  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/bbfreeze/

According to the project page, all applications frozen with bbfreeze get
a standalone python interpreter packaged alongside them.  So perhaps you
can simply freeze a trivial python script with bbfreeze and use the
interpreter it produces?

Please do report back if you find something that works, I'd be quite
interested to hear what the options are in this space.

   Ryan

--
Ryan Kelly
http://www.rfk.id.au  |  This message is digitally signed. Please visit