[Python-au] Recommendations for a web app framework?

Richard Jones richardjones at optushome.com.au
Wed Jan 2 20:47:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Brianna Laugher wrote:
> I am planning to build a website and I want to use the opportunity to
> learn some new Python. I am pretty sure a web app framework is what
> I'm after, although a CMS may also do the job.

I recommend Django - unlike other options it is both pretty straight-forward
and has a built-in ORM and templating language, meaning that it's much less
hassle to pick up for a first-timer. Later, when you're more comfortable with
things you might wish to look around at other templating / ORM systems and
use TurboGears etc. to glue them together.

> The content already exists, so instead of me converting the text and
> audio files manually I want to be able to drop in some URLs and have
> some behind-the-scenes thing do all the converting for me. For example
> the audio files are currently in OGG, and I want to offer both OGG and
> MP3 downloads.

Some libraries to google for: pymad, pylame, pyogg ...

    Richard