[Python-au] Recommendations for a web app framework?

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 10:57:38 UTC 2008

Hello pythonistas,

I am planning to build a website and I want to use the opportunity to
learn some new Python. I am pretty sure a web app framework is what
I'm after, although a CMS may also do the job.

The website will basically be a glorified podcast (==feeds) with
tagging, ratings (maybe comments too?) and some static pages. It will
also be available in up to a dozen languages (different content in
each, not translated content, although structurally the same).

The content already exists, so instead of me converting the text and
audio files manually I want to be able to drop in some URLs and have
some behind-the-scenes thing do all the converting for me. For example
the audio files are currently in OGG, and I want to offer both OGG and
MP3 downloads.

For me, decent documentation and good community support are important.
Killer website performance, not so much.

I have been using the Textpattern CMS (PHP) which has pretty awesome
templating type stuff. (It also uses Textile markup which I note
Django has support for...)

I am tempted to try out Django because I noticed they just released a
free Django book, but I would be grateful to hear anyone's experiences
or recommendations

thanks in advance,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/