[Python-au] textarea returns and newlines

Kinsley Turner kingsleyturner at westpac.com.au
Mon Jan 16 03:17:15 CET 2006

> I'm working up a web thingy and have struck a problem with CGI textarea
> objects. It may be because I'm writing and testing in Windows but
> deploying and runnning on Linux/Apache.
>
> Multi-line text I collect gains \\r\\n without being asked. Here is an
> example copied directly from a textarea box ...
>
>      "... partly of course.\\r\\n\\r\\nOn the other hand ..."
>
> It was originally entered as  ...
>
>      "... partly of course.
>
>      On the other hand ..."

You've checked the encoded request from the client right -
I mean, is it like that before you even start to parse it?

IIRC HTTP uses \r\n as EOLN.

Is there are reason why you can't/don't want to just replace them
with a local EOLN ?

-kt

--

Please consider our environment before printing this email.

WARNING - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please delete and inform us by return email. Because emails and attachments may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other defects and may not be successfully replicated on other systems, you must be cautious. Westpac cannot guarantee that what you receive is what we sent. If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email by Westpac, please contact us immediately.

It is also important to check for viruses and defects before opening or using attachments. Westpac's liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments.

This email and its attachments are not intended to constitute any form of financial advice or recommendation of, or an offer to buy or offer to sell, any security or other financial product. We recommend that you seek your own independent legal or financial advice before proceeding with any investment decision.

Westpac Institutional Bank is a division of Westpac Banking Corporation, a company registered in New South Wales in Australia under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). Westpac is authorised and regulated in the United Kingdom by the Financial Services Authority and is registered at Cardiff in the United Kingdom as Branch No. BR 106. Westpac operates in the United States of America as a federally chartered branch, regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141.