[Python-au] textarea returns and newlines

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Mon Jan 16 02:50:44 CET 2006

Hi guys

I'm working up a web thingy and have struck a problem with CGI textarea
objects. It may be because I'm writing and testing in Windows but
deploying and runnning on Linux/Apache.

Multi-line text I collect gains \\r\\n without being asked. Here is an
example copied directly from a textarea box ...

     "... partly of course.\\r\\n\\r\\nOn the other hand ..."

It was originally entered as  ...

     "... partly of course.

     On the other hand ..."

Does this have a known solution?

Or maybe someone can help me figure it out?

Haven't got much hair left. Mr Google reveals lots of complaining about
bad line ending karma but nothing specifically pythonesque or even
useful - apart from sympathy, maybe.

Thanks

Mike