[Python-au] [Follow-up] Windows Python different than Linux Python

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Mon Oct 17 09:17:04 CEST 2005

Mike Dewhirst wrote:
> I was so excited last night I forgot to say it was the line endings and
> dos2unix fixed everything.

I took Bruce Cropley's advice (after his excellent Python Patterns talk)
and got off my seat to research how to get Subversion to manage
line-endings via properties on files in the repository. It works a treat
thanks Bruce.

I can now scribble away in Windows Textpad (my comfort editor at the
moment), test the code on Windows, commit it to the repository and
update my Linux server from there. I can also tweak code on the server
and commit it back again. Line endings are perfect on both platforms no
matter from which direction you edit, commit and update to the other
platform.

Here is the secret ...

1. Use Subversion for a source repository

2. In a bash shell chdir to your topmost source directory which is under
version control

3. svn propset svn:eol-style native *.py -R --force

The property is set recursively (-R) through descending sub-directories
and --force seemed like a good idea. Don't really understand that bit
but I'm happy anyway.

4. If you are not the real owner you still have to chown and chgrp
afterwards in Linux but that ain't hard.

I was also chmod'ing to make *.py executable but Subversion has a bonus
there too :) It can set the executable bit automatically like this ...

5. svn propset svn:executable ON *.py -R --force

:D

Regards

Mike