[Python-au] RE: Processes and pipes; newbie alert

Andy Bulka abulka at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 30 01:49:39 CET 2004

Not sure about the win32 reference but I am soon planning to build some
interprocess communication myself - and being inexperienced in this field
myself, was watching this thread with interest.

I was perhaps hoping to create a generic module (strategy or bridge design
pattern) where I could communicate between two processes using either

 named pipes
 talk via regular text files ?
 http requests and periodic polling
 sockets

The flexibility of a switchable solution would be that I would have the
option of running the processes on another machines altogether, and have the
option of communicating using internet protocols too.

So I guess personally I would love a reference on "the varieties of inter
process communication" in python, and how these techniques compare to
techniques (e.g remoting in .NET) in other languages and frameworks.

Any pointer appreciated.
Andy Bulka
http://www.atug.com/andypatterns