[Python-au] thoughts on Python as an embedded language?

John Steele Scott toojays at toojays.net
Tue Sep 28 13:50:12 CEST 2004

Hi all,

One of the programs I maintain at work is a domain specific graphing program.
Sometime in the next couple of years this program will need to be rewritten
to add proper CJK support and cross-platform ability, and lately I have been
considering the utility of the new version exposing a simple programming
interface to the users, to allow them to augment the standard plots produced
by the program.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using Python for this kind of thing? Has
anyone used languages other than Python for this? Lua and Scheme are two
other languages often suggested for this purpose.

Are there any tricks or pitfalls which are not apparent from the Python docs?
I have made modules to bridge Python and C++ before, but have not yet
actually embedded the Python interpreter within a C++ app.

cheers,

John