[Python-au] Python Application for Palm Pilot

Garth T Kidd garth at deadlybloodyserious.com
Thu Jan 1 01:38:33 CET 2004

> I found a website that has information about Python for Palm Pilots.
> http://www.isr.uci.edu/projects/sensos/python/
>
> Python being an interpreter should run on the Palm anyway right?

The interpreter itself, like any application, has to first be ported to the
platform. Only Python 1.5.2 has been ported to PalmOS to date, only to alpha
level quality, and only with PalmOS versions 3.x-4.x in mind. It's not that
easy to distribute a pre-made Python application with it, and I don't think
there's much in the way of GUI control libraries in it.

Frankly, you'd be best to either look at the other development languages
available for Python, or wait for some bright spark to port Python to PalmOS
5, which amongst other things will fix a lot of the heap limits that made it
so hard to port previous Python versions.

There's now a fairly decent version of Java for PalmOS 5. If that's too
intense, there are a few implementations of Basic, and some custom languages
like CASL. I'm quite fond of Quartus Forth. For the full spectrum, check
out:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Systems/Handhelds/Palm_OS/Programm
ing/Development_Kits/?tc=1

Regards,