[Python-au] Hello, and non-blocking popen2 on Win32

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:13:22 +1000

> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 11:12 pm, Mark Hammond wrote:
> > > Before I go and re-invent the wheel, does anyone know of a
> non-blocking
> > > version of popen2 on Win32?
> >
> > Unfortunately no :(
>
> Found this post, which gives some direction.
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-February/030602.html
>
> > But I am quite confident the existing popen code can
> > be implemented in Python with win32all.
>
> Not sure what you mean by this...

popen is implemented in C in the core Python sources.  This could be
re-implemented in pure Python (via win32all), which could then simply be
changed to use, eg, overlapped IO, or any other win32 specific features you
desire.

> <snip>
>
> > In general, it is probably best if these questions go to a
> different list -
> > either comp.lang.python or python-win32@python.org - not very Aussie
> > specific ;)
>
> Well, no, I guess not.  However, I am quite Aussie specific - I
> live and work
> in Canberra.  I made the assumption that, like most Linux User
> Groups, you
> can post to your local group rather than a global list with very high
> traffic.  Actually, I have not used newsgroups much, and I forgot
> that I can
> post a message there and really only watch my thread.

I answer these sorts of questions in many forums, and get a little sick of
repeating myself.  Hence I prefer to only answer them on lists that have the
most chance of reaching the most people, thereby saving my time.

It was simply advice that would allow to have a thread to watch!  Take it
for what it cost you.

Mark.