[Python-au] Distributed apps.

Reinhold Quillen rquillen@ozemail.com.au
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:07:26 +1000

Hi all,

When looking at distributed apps., I always try to apply the KISS principle.

Usually, the order of my choices are:

1.	Sockets or named pipes
2.	DCE RPC (Microsoft RPC is compatible with DCE)
3.	Message Queues (MQSeries or MS for Windows platforms)
4.	Corba

It depends on what the client wishes to do. DCE RPC is rock-solid and has got a  good security model (Kerberos) - that's where Corba is lacking somewhat. Furthermore,
DCE RPC is relatively simple to implement.

DCE is deemed to be old-hat and of course is procedural, one cannot instantiate objects, etc. However, for many tasks, DCE RPC does the job.

The problem is usually the client's mindset - if they have set their minds on Corba (because of various articles read by said client), then if you suggest anything else, you
are generally dead in the water.

On the other hand, if the choice is up to me, then it's 1, 2, 3 or 4, depending upon how scalable the backend needs to be and the task at hand.

Reinhold.