[Python-au] Fnorb

Reinhold Quillen rquillen@ozemail.com.au
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:50:16 +1000

From:           	"Drew Whitehouse" <Drew.Whitehouse@anu.edu.au>
To:             	"Reinhold Quillen" <rquillen@ozemail.com.au>
Copies to:      	<python-au@starship.python.net>
Subject:        	RE: [Python-au] Fnorb
Date sent:      	Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:06:42 +1100

> Hi,
>
> We develop distributed applications here that have to go into a high
> availability, low maintenance environments and I've always been
> frightened at the complexity of things like omniORB, and usually jury
> rig systems on top of sockets that do the job (devil you know is
> better that the devil you don't sort of thing). Do you guys have any
> experience with using these systems in anger and care to share you
> experiences ?

Drew,

I used to do some work a few years ago with IONA's monster.

omniORB fits the bill because it can be deployed on HP-UX (10.2 and 11), and Solaris, as well as Linux, FreeBSD (my platform of choice) NT/Win2k and a few other
platforms.

The complexity does not bother me much (if you can work with IONA's
implementation, you can work with anything.)

Yes, I agree, jury-rigging something on top of sockets is the fast and dirty way and it usually works flawlessly (for security, you just use SSL/TLS - messing up the
performance though).

There is an event-driven library available for Python for writing multi-threaded event-driven apps. which I will look into, called the Asynchronous Sockets Library, available
from:

http://www.nightmare.com/software.html

In order to understand it, you should get the book:

Pattern-Oriented Software Architectures, Vol. 2, Patterns For Concurrent and Networked Objects by Douglas Schmidt.

Reinhold.