[Python-au] General question about Python use

Kevin Littlejohn Kevin Littlejohn <darius@obsidian.com.au>
Sat, 08 Dec 2001 10:27:38 +1100

Heya,

Obsidian uses python for most of it's work - we do consulting for a bunch of
companies, and are building an ISP billing system of sorts.

In addition, Connect.com.au has a fairly strong in-house use of python - that
was where I used to work.  Their billing system is written primarily in
python, and some of their scripting is likewise.

We still do perl and php work where specifically required, but we tend to
prefer python/Zope work.

There's various other places python and/or Zope pop up - a friend of mine is
working in a small publishing house of some sort that's built a lot of stuff
in Zope+python, I believe RMIT has or had a fair bit of Zope stuff in there, I
know ekit (heya Anthony) do pretty much all their stuff in python + Zope...

You'd be surprised how many people are aware of python and/or Zope, I suspect
- we've had a few potential contracts that have turned around half-way through
and said "have you heard of Zope?  What do you think?" - which makes pitching
a Zope/python solution a lot easier ;)

That's our experience, nearer the web-design end of things, anyway.

KJL

--
Internet techie                    Obsidian Consulting Group
Phone: +613 9653 9364                    Fax: +613 9354 2681