[PERCEPS] synopsis: documenting IDL, C++, python, and may be more

Stefan Seefeld seefeld@sympatico.ca
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:49:39 -0500

hi everybody,

About a year ago I started the synopsis tool, with much similar
goals as perceps/pyceps. I'm now pleased to announce synopsis version 0.2
which is able to parse *full* C++, as well as IDL. In fact, as the release
is already two weeks old, we have even added a python parser to it.
The whole architecture is highly modular, i.e. the tool's backbone is
an 'AST' - an Abstract Syntax Tree. YOu can plug in whatever parser you
want to populize this tree. As I said, we currently have parsers for IDL,
C++, and python. Similarly for the other stages: synopsis has a linker module,
as well as a number of formatter modules, for customizable output generation.
The tool doesn't depend on any particular comment style. In fact, if you run
it over your non-documented source code, you'll just get a cross-referenced
view of it. You may plugin comment parsers which are fit to use *your* comment
styles, instead of having to rewrite the comments to fit the documentation
tool.

One of our main goals is to enable the linker to cross-reference code written
in different languages, i.e. for example C++ classes implementing IDL interfaces,
etc.

Find more information about synopsis at

http://Synopsis.sourceforge.net

Regards,	Stefan