Re[2]: [PERCEPS] Doxygen

Tom Bryan tbryan@starship.python.net
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 10:02:33 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Karl Nelson wrote:

> Have you guys looked at my hacked up version of perceps called pce2?

Not yet.  It's on my to do list.

> It is far cleaner and nicer than the original and generates decent
> output.
>
> It is in the gtkmm tarball at http://gtkmm.sourceforge.net and
> generates the reference book at that site.

I've actually been sending people your way.  I feel that I made a mistake
in attempting to take over PERCES.  I did it before I was really a PERCEPS
user.  I just had some corrections for the original author, and he decided
to had me the whole code base.  To really fix things, I wanted to do
basically what it sounds like you did.  Unfortunately, personal
circumstances have prevented me from spending enough time on PERCEPS (or
the vaporware pyceps) to make something stable enough for release.

> I have been trying to find a good group of people willing to
> make the necessary modifications to make it a full blown package.

I don't seem to be very good at long term maintenance (especially not of
Perl code....since I don't really like Perl much), but I'm very good at
putting in a lot of effort for short periods of time.  Perhaps I could
help you clean up your version enough to release it as a separate
package.  I was thinking of moving PERCEPS to a sourceforge site, but I
didn't dare to do it before I had something worth releasing.

Would you like to take this discussion off of the PERCEPS list and discuss
the possibility of either killing PERCEPS and replacing it with pce2 or of
taking the pce2 code and releasing it as the next revision or PERCEPS?
Moving the source to an independent sourceforge site may also facilitate a
larger group of developers to work on the same code base.  I obviously
cannot do it at this point in my life, and I'm not sure how much time you
have after working on gtk--.  There are a few PERCEPS users who have
volunteered their assistance recently.

Starting to see light at the end of the tunnel,
---Tom