[PERCEPS] Perceps?

Tom Bryan tbryan@starship.python.net
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 23:15:25 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Karl Nelson wrote:

> Reading here that perceps doesn't support it and seeing the relative
> low traffic here I have to wonder about the status of the project.  I
> sent several patches to fix template bugs and other nasties but have
> not heard back.

For that, I apologize.  I really regret trying to take over PERCEPS this
year.  Since last May, I moved, started a new job, and have been looking
for a house.  If all goes well, I'll be moved in and stable by mid-March.

Since I haven't had enough time to push forward with PERCEPS, and since
the current code base is something that I'd prefer put behind us all (once
we've got something better), I've started setting up a project at
www.sourceforge.com for PERCEPS and any other work I do on documentation
tools.  I'll probably be adding other developers in the next few months
(if anyone is interested) so that new development and maintenance will be
more open.

> Not hearing anything and still needing a perl documentation generator
> (which is heavily modified to handle our source files), I have just
> completed a near total rewrite.

Wow!  That could be great.  With house purchasing stuff on my plate for
the next couple of weeks, I won't get to it immediately, but I'll take a
look at it when I can.

> It handles namespaces and embedded classes and has a much more elegant
> object tree for storing its internals.  All the plugin functionality
> is there still, but there is no output template support, because I
> didn't need it.

Sounds good.

> I don't plan to maintain it beyond my limited use in gtk--, however it
> would form a good base for a rewrite of perceps if there are still
> interested users out there.

Then I'll probably swipe the code as soon as I have time to put it up at
Sourceforge.  I dubbed the project Codedoc (though it's currently listed
as Pyceps) as an umbrella project for PERCEPS and another tool I've been
trying to work on.  I've been similarly neglecting that project for a few
months now too.  *sigh*

My apologies and sincere wish for a bunch of free time to fall into my
lap.

---Tom

P.S. If anyone's interested in working on future PERCEPS development, drop
me a note at this e-mail address.