[MMTK] netcdf problems.. please help!

Konrad Hinsen research at khinsen.fastmail.net
Wed Mar 20 07:53:35 UTC 2013

Mettu, Ramgopal writes:

 > In file included from Src/MMTK_DCD.c:9:0:
 > Include/MMTK/trajectory.h:15:32: fatal error: Scientific/netcdf.h: No such file or directory
 > compilation terminated.

This is a well-known issue with Debian/Ubuntu, which modify Python's
package installation system in order to fit it to their file system
layout. Under those systems, Scientific/netcdf.h gets installed in a
non-standard location where the MMTK installation script doesn't find
it.

The workaround is

   env CPATH=/usr/local/include/python/ python setup.py install

The exact path may vary between Debian and Ubuntu versions. It has
to be the one that contains Scientific/netcdf.h. If in doubt, do a

   find /usr/local -name netcdf.h

first.

If anyone has an idea of how to get rid of this issue (the N°1
installation problem with MMTK nowadays) in a safe and portable way
(that's not likely to pick up other files named netcdf.h), I'd like to
hear about it.

http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/~hinsen/