[MMTK] (no subject)

ra.biehl ra.biehl at fz-juelich.de
Fri Feb 24 09:45:11 UTC 2012

Hi
because my impression was till now that the pip repositories (eg
http://pypi.python.org/pypi)
are faster updated
eg numpy in Oneric is 1.5.1 if you use your commands
if you want to upgrade you need again to compile it yourself and have to
care yourself if everything is compatible

in pip the newest version today (24.2.2012) of numpy is 1.6.1
which you get with
sudo pip install --upgrade numpy
For me it was sometimes important that bugs in some packages were solved
in the newest version, which i can get in this way.

The other reason is it works independent of the Ubuntu,
you can use it in the same way on CentOs or wherever

And finally if we talk about ways to install.
At work i cant install as root on CentOs, so i need to install new or
testing packages in my home directory  like this

easy_install --prefix=$HOME/local numpy
or the downloaded package
easy_install --prefix=$HOME/local  MMTK-2.7.5.tar.gz

Best
Ralf

On 24.02.2012 09:58, Thomas Holder wrote:
> On 02/23/2012 09:42 AM, ra.biehl wrote:
>> sudo pip install scipy
>> sudo pip install ScientificPython
>> sudo pip install ipython
> why not just:
>
> sudo apt-get install python-numpy python-scientific ipython
>

> Cheers,
>     Thomas

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich