[MMTK] MMTK on Mac

Konrad Hinsen research at khinsen.fastmail.net
Thu Jul 29 13:28:45 UTC 2010

On 29.07.2010, at 13:01, Rajesh Singh wrote:

> I am a person just got introduced to MMTK.
> I visited the http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/MMTK.
> What I understand from the website that I need to
> download numerical Python, Scientific Python
> before starting MMTK installation.
>
> Is there any website where I can get all the Mac binary
> files or installation README which is more clear so
> that I can finally install MMTK.

I don't think there are binaries for everything, but you can (and should) start with the binaries for Python 2.6 and NumPy:

- http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.5/python-2.6.5-macosx10.3-2010-03-24.dmg
- http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.4.1/numpy-1.4.1-py2.6-python.org.dmg/download

You also need netCDF, for which there is a precompiled binary as well:

- http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/binary/darwin_10.3-i386/binary-netcdf-4.1.1_g95_g95_g++.tar.gz

With those pieces installed, you can install ScientificPython and MMTK (in that order) following the standard Unix installation instructions valid for most Python packages:

	1) unpack
	2) python setup.py build
	3) sudo python setup.py install

To install these packages (or in fact anything containing C code), you must get Apple's XCode package, available for free from http://developer.apple.com/. It contains compilers for C, C++, and Objective C, plus other stuff you won't need for working with Python.

Mistakes to avoid:
1) Don't use Python 3.x.
2) Make sure your NumPy binary is made for the Python version you actually installed.

E-Mail: research at khinsen dot fastmail dot net