[MMTK] netcdf problem

Konrad Hinsen research at khinsen.fastmail.net
Thu Sep 17 16:15:38 UTC 2009

On 17 Sep 2009, at 17:00, Ramgopal Mettu wrote:

> ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
> 2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Scientific/darwin/
> Scientific_netcdf.so, 2): Symbol not found: _H5P_CLS_FILE_ACCESS_g

This indicates a problem with the integration of HDF5 into netCDF4.
Apparently it happens frequently on OS X. I vaguely remember having
seen instructions for solving the problem, but they were quite
complicated.

Personally, I don't need the HDF5 functionality, so I compiled and
installed netCDF 4 without the HD5 option.

> I have installed netcdf v4.0.1 using binaries for OSX and the
> install scripts for Scientific run fine (I set the NETCDF_PATH and
> get no errors). Is there a particular version of NetCDF that
> Scientific expects?? Thanks for your help!

netCDF 4 works fine in principle, but netCDF 3.x works fine as well.
Your problem is with the installation of netCDF 4, not with the
interface in Scientific.

E-Mail: research at  khinsen dot fastmail dot net