[MMTK] The MMTK Web site is down

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Tue Aug 4 17:31:50 UTC 2009

On 13.07.2009, at 21:20, Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> Since July 7, the Web server hosting the MMTK Web site is down, and
> I don't expect it to be up again soon because it's summer vacation
> time in France. If you wish to contribute to accelerating the
> process, you could send a supporting e-mail to my lab director,
> whose e-mail is given at http://cbm.cnrs-orleans.fr/spip.php?article210
>  (I don't reproduce it here in order not to expose him to spamming),
> stating that the Web site is important for you and that you would
> like to see it up again as soon as possible.

Thanks to all of you for your support, which vastly exceeded my
expectations! In fact, Mr Beloeil is getting a bit tired of all those
mails, so please stop sending support messages!

Here is what happened. The server that hosted the MMTK Web site also
hosted two Wikis, the MMTK Wiki and a very old Wiki set up for a
collaboration and not used any more. Both Wikis had become victims of
spamming, as someone pointed out on this list for the MMTK Wiki. At
the time, I cleaned up the MMTK Wiki and removed the possibility to
create accounts anonymously in order to prevent future spamming.
However, I didn't think about the second long-forgotten Wiki, which
contained spam as well.

In early July, my lab's Internet provider noticed the inappropriate
Web content and alerted my lab's computer and network managers. Since
nobody noticed (or cared) that the pages were in a Wiki, they assumed
that the Web server itself had been hacked. Unfortunately, no one has
been willing until now to listen to my explanations about Wiki spam,
and the server is still offline as a potential security threat. To
make it worse, there doesn't seem to be any protocol for putting it
back in service.

So for now the problem remains unsolved. The technical part could be
fixed in five minutes, but that wouldn't be sufficient to be allowed
to put the server online again. I am looking into other options for
hosting the MMTK Web site, outside of my lab. Unfortunately, that
won't happen rapidly.

At the moment, my most immediate concern is a much more annoying
consequence of the disappearance of my server. It also served as an e-
mail server with an up-to-date spam filter. Now I am back to the basic
services provided by my lab, which means a spam filter that recognized
only half of the 300 spams that I receive per day and doesn't do any
more than tag them. If I am late in replying to messages, please be
patient: I have to remove all that spam by hand, which makes mail
handling a real pain at the moment. Again this is a problem for which
there doesn't seem to be a simple solution, as I cannot simply give up
my professional e-mail address.

E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr