[MMTK] problems installing

Bjorge Solli bjorge.solli at it.uib.no
Wed Jun 10 09:23:38 UTC 2009

Konrad Hinsen wrote:
> My general advice to all MMTK users is to switch to NumPy unless you
> have a really good reason to stick to Numeric. No one is maintaining
> Numeric any more, so problems will become more and more numerous with
> new Python releases, C compilers, and platforms.

I have two candidates already installed:
[root at ii122120 ~]# yum info numpy
Installed Packages
Name       : numpy
Arch       : i386
Version    : 1.2.0
Release    : 2.fc10
Size       : 9.7 M
Repo       : installed
Summary    : A fast multidimensional array facility for Python
URL        : http://numeric.scipy.org/
License    : BSD
           : efficiently manipulate large multi-dimensional arrays of
arbitrary
           : records without sacrificing too much speed for small
multi-dimensional
           : arrays.  NumPy is built on the Numeric code base and adds
features
           : introduced by numarray as well as an extended C-API and the
ability to
           : create arrays of arbitrary type.
           :
           : There are also basic facilities for discrete fourier transform,
           : basic linear algebra and random number generation. Also
included in
           : this package is a version of f2py that works properly with
NumPy.

[root at ii122120 ~]# yum info python-numeric
Installed Packages
Name       : python-numeric
Arch       : i386
Version    : 24.2
Release    : 11.fc9
Size       : 1.7 M
Repo       : installed
Summary    : Numerical Extension to Python
URL        : http://numpy.sourceforge.net
License    : Python
           : operations.

Which one should I use, and how do I tell MMTK which one to use?

Regards
Bjørge