[MMTK] problems installing

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu Jun 4 10:53:02 UTC 2009

On Jun 4, 2009, at 11:39, Bjorge Solli wrote:

> Konrad Hinsen wrote:
>>     env CPATH=/usr/include/netcdf python setup.py build
>
> After installing I can import MMTK, but when I quit python I get the
> following error:

> *** glibc detected *** python: free(): invalid pointer: 0xb802aae8 ***
> ======= Backtrace: =========
> /lib/libc.so.6[0x17f3a4]
> /lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x96)[0x181356]
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Numeric/RNG/RNG.so[0xafab80]
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Numeric/RNG/RNG.so[0xafab24]

This looks like a problem with Numeric. In fact, it looks like a
problem that I fixed in a patch to Numeric 23.8, available from my
Web site:

	http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/plone/software/scientificpython/
Numeric-23.8.2.tar.gz/view

If you are already using that version, then I suppose you are running
on a 64-bit machine. In that case the only solution is to move on to
NumPy. Numeric will never work with Python 2.5 (or later) on a 64-bit
machine.

My general advice to all MMTK users is to switch to NumPy unless you
have a really good reason to stick to Numeric. No one is maintaining
Numeric any more, so problems will become more and more numerous with
new Python releases, C compilers, and platforms.

E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Web: http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/~hinsen/