[MMTK] constrained bonds - nan problem

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Wed May 6 07:43:10 UTC 2009

On 06.05.2009, at 03:59, Qadir Timerghazin wrote:

> Recently, I've been trying to perform simulations with some bonds
> constrained,
> but it looks like there is an elusive bug which leads to nan's during
> the integration (or segfaults at some systems, 64-bit Linux
> mostly). The bug is
> quite subtle - it shows up and disappears depending on the
> molecular system,
> force field, restraints applied, thermostat and the computer/OS.
> When a

Neither the NaNs nor the crashes are actually the real problem with
your simulation. Looking at the simulation protocol, it is clear the
total energy of the system grows rapidly right from the start. This
leads to growing forces as well, which in turn make the coordinates
and velocities very large. Your system is very unstable. Since for
efficiency reasons there are no checks on the numerical operations,
this sooner or later leads to system-dependent symptoms such as NaN
values or crashes. You will see the same kind of behaviour with any
molecular simulation program.

The cause of an instability requires careful analysis, but the
biggest problem with your system is that you start an NVT simulation
at 300 K right from an energy-minimized structure. You are thus
adding a big amount of energy in a single step, which will crash
nearly any molecular system.

What you should do is heat up your system slowly. You can initialize
the velocities to a low temperature, say 20 K, and then run NVE MD
with a heater. There is an example script coming with MMTK that shows
how to do it. Once your NVE MD is stable at the desired temperature
of 300 K (absence of a notable energy drift), you can add the
thermostat to do NVT simulations. You should never add a Nose
thermostat to a system that is at a very different temperature - this
is almost a guarantee for disaster.

E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr