[MMTK] Matrices not aligned

Lars Skjærven larsss at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 18:04:24 UTC 2008

Hi again, and thanks for your quick reply and testing.

I have been testing this myself a couple of times today without
getting much forward. I managed to compile and run MMTK (with numpy)
successfully on another desktop computer (64-bit linux) with the same
versions mentioned above.

For the server where I have the trouble (also a 64-bit linux box) I
went over the compilation steps again to make note of any error
messages:
- The python compilation complained one time: "Can't locate Tcl/Tk
libs and/or headers". However, it continued, and finished
successfully.
- numpy compilation went fine, and I performed the numpy test (with
nose). ended up with "OK (KNOWNFAIL=1, SKIP=1)".
- scientific python: last line after "python setup.py install":
"error: Invalid argument". However, all test finished successfully.
- MMTK: only "basic_tests.py" succeeded. All other test fails with the
fatal error mentioned above.

I have compiled python and mmtk, but with Numeric instead of numpy, on
this machine plenty of times earlier without encountering trouble.

The benefits from using numpy instead of numeric is the increase of
the allowed size of the force constant matrix, right? at the moment,
using my numeric version of MMTK I encounter "segmentation fault" when
calculating all-atom normal modes on a 7500 atom protein (510
residues) using RigidMotionSubspace and SubspaceNormalModes. Smaller
proteins works fine. By using numpy instead, I was hoping I would end
up with something else than seg.fault (i.e. the modes).

Any tips for solving this are highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Lars