[MMTK] Matrices not aligned

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu Oct 30 08:05:46 UTC 2008

On 29.10.2008, at 12:39, jak137 at o2.pl wrote:

> As far as I know there is no version of Numeric that works with
> Python 2.5 on 64-bit Linux systems (amd64/x86_64). It compiles but
> fails tests. If this is your case, you could try installing Python
> 2.4 and using for example Numeric 23.8.

This is one solution that works. The other one is to use NumPy
instead of Numeric.

There are two combinations that are known not to work:

1) Python 2.5/2.6 + Numeric on 64-bit machines. The causes are known
but no one is going to fix Numeric any more.
2) Numeric 24.x with MMTK. The exact reason remains unclear but
enough people have reported problems to suggest that this is not a
good combination.

BTW, I have released ScientificPython 2.8 a few days ago, which uses
NumPy by default, but can still be installed for Numeric if
necessary. MMTK will use whatever ScientificPython uses. However, all
my development machines use NumPy now, so Numeric support might
become less reliable for lack of testing in the future.

E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr