[MMTK] Question about neutron scattering in nMoldyn

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu Oct 16 18:21:19 UTC 2008

On 16.10.2008, at 18:48, Ramon Crehuet wrote:

> trajectory in the low q-range. Apart from the q values, you have to
> specify the "Q shell width". In the manual is is said that it fixes
> the
> q-resolution, but I do not understand the meaning. Is this parameter
> related to the energy resolution of the neutron spectrometer? If so,
> which is this relationship?

Every structure factor value is calculated as an orientational
average over q-vectors with the same length - or rather almost the
same length. In practice, the average is calculated over q vectors
from a spherical shell whose mean radius is given by the q value and
whose thickness is given by "Q shell width".

The Q width parameter exists mostly for computational reasons: in a
periodic system, except for very high Q values, it is not feasible to
pick Q vectors of exactly the same length because there are not
enough of them. But it can also be identified with the angular (not
the energetic) resolution of the neutron spectrometer.

Hope this helps,
E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr