[MMTK] Scientific and Mac OSX 10.5

Gustavo Mercier gamercier at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 02:26:26 UTC 2008

Hi!

Has anyone compiled/installed successfully the latest version of Scientific Python using numpy in a Mac running OSX 10.5, and is willing to share his experience? The binary installers are pretty old.

I have no problems doing this in a Linux box but OS X has its own quirks. Using the usual approach with distutil simply led to a whole host of errors, mostly gcc compilation stuff.

BTW. I am not using the native Apple python that everyone claims is broken. Instead, I installed the Enthought distribution that includes numpy, scipy, and others. fftw3 and netcdf are from MacPorts. This works fine.

Thanks!

--
Gustavo A. Mercier, Jr. MD,PhD
Boston Medical Center