[MMTK] NetCDF convention

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Wed Aug 13 17:56:14 UTC 2008

On 12.08.2008, at 20:30, Jay Billings wrote:

> Does anyone know the NetCDF convention used for MMTK trajectory
> files? I have some data that I want to put into MMTK/NMOLDYN, but I
> need to know the NetCDF convention. Unfortunately, my data is not
> in one of the supported formats.

The netCDF convention is something on my to-do list - which never got
enough priority to get done, unfortunately.

By far the easiest way to create MMTK-compatible netCDF files is
using MMTK itself. The SnapshotGenerator class lets you write almost
anything you like to a trajectory file from a Python script. The
converters that come with nMOLDYN use this approach.

You can also get most of the required information from looking at an
MMTK-produced netCDF file using ncdump. There are only two required
variables, "description" and "step", everything else is optional. The
format for the system definition contained in "description" may not
be obvious at first, but once you know that it is an executable
Python expression, it is rather straightforward to analyze. You can
also get the description string for any MMTK universe using
"universe.description()".

Good luck,
E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr