[MMTK] Re: Collection.findTransformation() never stops

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Tue Sep 19 12:27:02 CEST 2006

On Sep 19, 2006, at 2:38, Dr. Seth Olsen wrote:

> As the eigenvectors() routine in LinearAlgebra.py is obviously
> going to be a heavily used algorithm (not just in MMTK), is it
> really possible that no one has had this problem before?

This is a well-known problem and has been discussed on this list
before. It concerns most (if not all) Linux distributions that use
GCC 4. GCC 4 does not translate CLAPACK code correctly when used with
its default options, though I can't say if this is GCC's or f2c's
fault (CLAPACK is LAPACK translated to C using f2c). Both Numeric and
MMTK contain CLAPACK code.

The solution is to install both Numeric and MMTK using

	CFLAGS='-ffloat-store' python setup.py build

in place of the simple

	python setup.py build

With MMTK 2.5.14, this is included already in setup.py, but you will
still have to apply the fix for Numeric.

E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr