[MMTK] Re: Collection.findTransformation() never stops

Dr. Seth Olsen seth.olsen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 02:38:22 CEST 2006

Hi MMTKers,

The problem with Collection.findTransformation() that I reported earlier is
due to a problem with LinearAlgebra.eigenvectors().  This algortithm does
not seem to stop - it can't even manage to find the eigenvectors of the 2x2
square matrix [[2,1],[1,2]].  Asking for this causes a long wait followed by
CPU overheat warnings.  Moreover, I have recompiled Numeric23.8 with newly
installed atlas libraries, but it still won't work.  I have had this problem
now on 2 machines (one running FC4 with , the other FC5, both pentium 4
machines), with atlas lapack/blas libraries installed freshly via yum and
linked as per the recommendations found in setup.py.  THE FEDORA
INSTALLATIONS ON BOTH MACHINES IS STANDARD - everything has been downloaded
and installed via the fedora yum repositories.

As the eigenvectors() routine in LinearAlgebra.py is obviously going to be a
heavily used algorithm (not just in MMTK), is it really possible that no one
has had this problem before?

Cheers,

Seth

email: s.olsen1 at uq.edu.au