[MMTK] MMTK Suse 10.1

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Sat Sep 9 16:13:25 CEST 2006

> I recently moved from Suse Linux 9.3 to Suse 10.1
> (likely a mistake that I will regret!) I am trying to
> reinstall MMTK 2.5.13 with ScientificPython 2.4.9, but
> I am now unsuccessful!

That is not supposed to work anyway, MMTK 2.5 required ScientificPython 2.5
as well.

A student here is running SuSE 10.1 on his laptop, and he has a working MMTK
there, so it should be possible. Two issues to watch out for:

1) SuSE has set up Python such that new packages go to /usr/local instead of
/usr. However, they didn't put /usr/local/include on the header search path.
This means that you have to modify setup.py in MMTK to add it; otherwise it
won't find the headers of ScientificPython.

2) I have various reports of Numeric 24.x not working correctly with MMTK. I
could never reproduce these problems, but I recommend 23.8 which seems to
work everywhere.

E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr