[MMTK] Using VMD for visualisations - colors

Peter mmtk at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Oct 24 19:49:21 CEST 2005

This is a question I meant to ask a long time ago, but never got round
to it.  There are MMTK examples using VRML, VRML2, VMD and Visual Python
to draw proteins.

I want to draw a protein from a PDB file, but specify the residue colors
"by hand".  I have done this using using the VDW radii ball & stick
representation using VRML2, VPython and VMD.

The problem is specifying colours for visualisation in VMD does not
work.  I either seem to get red or blue (only).

I have tried this with the Scientific\Visualization\*.py from Scientific
Python version 2.4.9, under Windows with VMD 1.8.2

http://www.cnslab.carleton.ca/vmd/userguide/node72.html#ug:topic:coloring

It looks like VMD.py tries to re-use colour ID 35 for its custom colours...

Has anyone got multiple colours to work with an MMTK/Scientific Python
visualisation?

Thanks

Peter