[MMTK] import lapack_mmtk problem in modes.py

khinsen at cea.fr khinsen at cea.fr
Thu Oct 13 13:07:18 CEST 2005

On Oct 12, 2005, at 8:02, James Horne wrote:
> I am unable to run the modes.py example which sits chewing up CPU
> with the following output when invoked with "python -v":
>
> import MMTK.AtomEnvironment # precompiled from /usr/lib/python2.3/
> site-packages/MMTK/AtomEnvironment.pyc
> dlopen("/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/MMTK/linux2/
> lapack_mmtk.so", 2);
> import lapack_mmtk # dynamically loaded from /usr/lib/python2.3/
> site-packages/MMTK/linux2/lapack_mmtk.so
> ------------

Strange. I have never seen any Python program hanging at an import
statement.

The best approach to analyze this behaviour would be to use gdb on
the hanging Python interpreter, i.e. find the pid of the Python
process using ps and then do

     gdb `which python` <pid>

That will tell you where exactly it hangs, though it might be
necessary to recompile everything (Python included) with the compiler
option '-g' to get information at the source code level.

Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
E-Mail: khinsen at cea.fr