[MMTK] MMTK with VMD on Mac OSX

khinsen at cea.fr khinsen at cea.fr
Thu Jul 21 09:05:54 CEST 2005

On 21.07.2005, at 00:40, Ryan Bannen wrote:

> I think that the $PDBVIEWER variable is pointing to the right VMD
> executable file.  For example when i type:
>
>       echo $PDBVIEWER
>
> it returns the following:
>
>       /Applications/VMD_1.8.2/VMD_1.8.2.app/Contents/vmd/vmd_MACOSX

It should point to  /usr/loca/bin/vmd, for two reasons:

1) MMTK takes the executable name "vmd" as a sign for the PDB viewer
being VMD. It then makes available the special VMD support, in
particular animation support. If the executable name is anything else,
it is treated as a standard PDB viewer that can handle only a single
PDB file.

2) Starting the VMD binary directly requires that the starting process
is a terminal. The script /usr/loca/bin/vmd opens a terminal window and
starts VMD from there.

-------
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Leon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,