[MMTK] atom index in normal modes

khinsen at cea.fr khinsen at cea.fr
Thu Jul 21 09:16:17 CEST 2005

On 21.07.2005, at 01:26, OMAR NABEEL ALY DEMERDASH wrote:

> Hello,
> What is the easiest way to determine the C-alpha to which each ordered
> triple of a normal mode corresponds, using the pdb residue indices for
> the C-alphas?

There is no way at all in general, because there are so many ways to
construct a system using zero, one, or several PDB files.

However, if your system contains all the C-alphas from a single PDB
file, and nothing else, then you can rely on the order of the C-alphas
being the same as in the PDB file.  You could then use an in-memory
representation of the PDB file (MMTK.PDB.PDBConfiguration) to identify
the PDB atom numbers corresponding to each residue.

However, please be sure that this is really what you need. I have
worked with C-alpha normal modes for eight years and I have never
needed any such tricks. The only reason I see for referring to PDB atom
or residue indices is to exchange data with other programs that are
very PDB-centric. In the context of normal modes analysis, it is
usually easier to reproduce the functionality of such programs in a few
lines of Python code than to work on elaborate interfaces.

-------
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Leon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
E-Mail: khinsen at cea.fr