[MMTK] Visualization with VMD [solved]

Vasisht R. Tadigotla vasisht at eden.rutgers.edu
Sat May 28 00:59:06 CEST 2005

Hi,

Using the following as the shell script for vmd

> cat /usr/bin/vmd
#!/bin/bash
xterm -e '/Applications/VMD
1.8.3.app/Contents/Resources/VMD.app/Contents/MacOS/VMD' $*

gives the following error in the console, even when X11 is running

/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm Xt error: Can't open display:

Changing to script to explicitly set the display to the localhost

>cat /usr/bin/vmd
#!/bin/bash
/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -display 127.0.0.1:0 -e '/Applications/VMD
1.8.3.app/Contents/Resources/VMD.app/Contents/MacOS/VMD' $*

solves the problem and vmd can be launched from within IDLE. I don't know
if this's a problem due to some weird setting in my case or if it's true
on all machines running OS X.

Thanks,
Vasisht