[MMTK] Visualization with VMD

khinsen at cea.fr khinsen at cea.fr
Fri May 27 17:03:44 CEST 2005

On May 27, 2005, at 16:53, Vasisht R. Tadigotla wrote:

>> The only other condition I can think of is that /usr/bin/vmd must be
>> executable.
>
> /usr/bin/vmd has the executable bit set. I tried changing it to
> /usr/local/bin/vmd just in case and it doesn't work. Both /usr/bin and
> /usr/local/bin are in my path. I don't seem to get any error messages.
> Is
> there any way I can get information on what might be going wrong. I'm
> using VMD 1.8.3 if that makes any difference.

Does the vmd script work if you run it from the terminal, i.e.

	/usr/bin/vmd file.pdb

? If it does, and if PDBVIEWER is set correctly, then I don't know what
could go wrong. MMTK just does

	os.system(os.environ['PDBVIEWER'] + ' -nt -e ' + script)

where script is the name of a temporary file that contains a script for
VMD.

Something that you could try is make a copy of the vmd script under any
other name and define that copy as PDBVIEWER. Then MMTK uses the
generic PDB viewer code instead of the specialized vmd code.

Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
E-Mail: khinsen at cea.fr