[MMTK] Visualization with VMD

Vasisht R. Tadigotla vasisht at eden.rutgers.edu
Fri May 27 02:08:29 CEST 2005

Hi,

I've installed MMTK 2.4.2 using the mac installer on OS X 10.4. I've set
the PDBVIEWER variable to '/usr/bin/vmd' in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
and I have the vmd shell script in /usr/bin.

> cat /usr/bin/vmd
#!/bin/bash
xterm -e '/Applications/VMD
1.8.3.app/Contents/Resources/VMD.app/Contents/MacOS/VMD' $*

When I run the the following lines from IDLE, it doesn't launch VMD and
doesn't throw any errors.

from MMTK import *
molecule = Molecule('water')
molecule.view()

the molecule.view() command does create files in /tmp and I can view the
molecule if I launch vmd from the commandline.

vmd -nt -e /tmp/tmpMMPED

When I check os.environ['PDBVIEWER'] in IDLE, it's set to /usr/bin/vmd

Is there something else I need to configure before I can get VMD to work?

Thanks,
Vasisht