[MMTK] MMTK beguinner

khinsen at cea.fr khinsen at cea.fr
Tue Apr 19 14:56:47 CEST 2005

On Apr 19, 2005, at 11:39, Matias Saavedra wrote:

> I would like to know which is the better method to determine the
> amplitude of the mouvements of selected residus, for example from the
> active site, DEFORMATION ENERGY or FLUCTUATIONS() from NormalModes
> class.

Those two quantities measure different things. Fluctuations measure how
much a residue moves around in space, i.e. how much its absolute
position varies. Deformation energies measure how much a residue moves
relative to its geometrical neighbours in the protein.

Many people confuse the two and consider fluctuations a measure for
local flexibility in a protein, the literature is full of such
references. But repetition doesn't make it true. To illustrate the
difference, consider a big protein with two domains that move relative
to each other. The deformation energy will then be high in the hinge
region between the two domains, but the fluctuations will be highest at
the points in the domains that are far away from the hinge, whereas the
hinge region will have fluctuations close to zero.

> In this context i used the method fluctuations() to calculate the
> mouvements of residues in a given protein,  with the  simplified model
> using deformation force field and i obtained very low values (around
> 0,00005).

Absolute amplitude values from normal mode calculations are never
reliable at the current level of force field development. The
deformation force field in MMTK includes an arbitray scaling factor, so
the amplitudes are meaningless by design. However, you can use
amplitude information from experiments to establish an amplitude scale
for your particular protein. For details, see

    K. Hinsen, A.J. Petrescu, S. Dellerue, M.C. Bellissent-Funel, G.R.
Kneller
    Harmonicity in slow protein dynamics
    Chem. Phys. 261, 25-37 (2000)

However, you should better use the CalphaForceField for such
applications, which is the one described in that paper.

> I would like to know the units of the fluctuations results and if the
> values i get are in the correct range.

The units are nm^2, but given the arbitrary scale factor, that doesn't
help in your case.

> Finally i would like to know how many modes i have to consider to make
> a good fluctuation analysis.

That depends on your application and the size of your protein. If using
twice as many modes yields a significantly different result, you didn't
use enough. As a rule of thumb, start with 5% of the total number of
modes, then check with smaller and larger numbers.

Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
E-Mail: khinsen at cea.fr