[MMTK] VRML and VMD

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 16 15:28:18 CET 2005

Hello all,

I am hoping someone out there can clear up some difficulties I am having with
visualizations.  I am trying to use VMD as my visualization program (version
1.8.2 has
been installed for some time and works just fine).  I tried to familiarize
myself with
MMTK's visualizations by running a few examples provided online:

http://starship.python.net/crew/hinsen/mmtk_manual/misc.html

I created a script containing that exact code, and the first error was this:

>>> import VRML
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named VRML

My first question is: Am I missing a necessary module?  I read on the website
that a
VRML is included with the MMTK package, but I cannot find one (I am using
v2.4.2).  I
continued, changing that line to read:

>>> from Scientific.Visualization import VRML

(It seemed logical at the time)

Allowing the script to run does not give any more errors, it just doesn't give
any output.

I have some knowledge of modifying the .bash_profile, but I am not sure if I
have done
it correctly.  I read the preface to the Visualization.py script for
information, and I
currently have my variables set like this:

export PDBVIEWER=/Applications/VMD\ 1.8.2.app/Contents/vmd/vmd_MACOSX
export VRMLVIEWER=/Applications/VMD\ 1.8.2.app/Contents/vmd/vmd_MACOSX

That's my second question: Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

On a side note (follow-up to a previous thread: Fatal Python Error with
NormalMode),
things are working quite well under Python2.3.  The error only occurred under
2.4.  Just
FYI for anyone who may run across the same thing.

Thanks,
Justin