[MMTK] MMTK Install

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Feb 14 15:21:06 CET 2005

Hello again,

I am hoping that this will be the last of my bothersome newbie questions.  It
has been a long
ordeal getting my computer to work with MMTK, and I almost have it done.  My
python2.3 was
not configured for Tkinter (odd, I thought) so I went ahead and upgraded to
2.4 from
python.org.  The new version now recognizes Tkinter, but cannot find MMTK, and
gives me the
standard error which we've all seen:

>>> from mmtk import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named mmtk

I am getting all too tired of seeing this :)  I had to modify my .bash_profile
to get python2.4
to be the default on the machine, and was wondering if there was something
else I needed to
change to get MMTK to be recognized, and this is below:

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
PATH=$PATH:$HOME
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin/babel
PATH=$PATH:/sw/bin
PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH:$HOME/bin

I read a thread from a few years ago in the archives where Konrad said that
the only thing
necessary to have the MMTK modules recognized was a correctly defined
PYTHONPATH.  My
question is how to declare that explicitly, and might that fix the problem?  I
added the last line
of the above block (copied from a different forum since I am unfamiliar with
this syntax) so the
system would find my python2.4 and override its annoying tendency to want to
run 2.3, but is
there something else that I have to declare within the file, such as an
export, alias, or additional
PATH?

Thanks!
-Justin