[MMTK] Re: Auto-discard notification

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Thu Feb 3 23:42:24 CET 2005

On 02.02.2005, at 14:11, mmtk-bounces at python.net wrote:

> The attached message has been automatically discarded.

But fortunately not sorted into my spam folder...

> From: Nathalie Reuter <Nathalie.Reuter at bccs.uib.no>
> Date: 2. Februar 2005 14:09:40 MEZ
> To: mmtk at python.net
> Subject: Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>

> Dear MMTK users,
>
> our system-engineer has installed MMTK on a linux cluster and we are
> facing an unusual (for me at least) error.  There is actually no error
> message other than 'core dump'. The exec lines are below.  We have
> installed MMTK 2.4.1-1 (rpm source) and ScientificPython-2.4.9-1,
> Python version is 2.2.3.
> (Even though it is a cluster, I run single-node jobs.)
>

> [GCC 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-42)] on linux2
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

My best guess is that something is going wrong in the C module
MMTK_universe, which is used for the first time when a universe object
is initialized.

Suggestion: run under debugger control:

	gdb `which python`
	run

and then type the lines of Python code again. At the crash, type "w" to
see the stack trace.

It's also worth looking at the compilation/installation protocol again
(if available) to check if anything unusual happened.

-------
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Leon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
E-Mail: khinsen at cea.fr