[MMTK] newby: protein to c_alpha

hinsen at llb.saclay.cea.fr hinsen at llb.saclay.cea.fr
Fri Oct 15 12:48:00 CEST 2004

On Oct 15, 2004, at 7:44, mmtk-bounces at python.net wrote:

> The attached message has been automatically discarded.

Another reminder: please subscribe to the list before posting and use
the same address for subscribing and posting. Otherwise your messages
will be discarded and it is a question of chance if I notice it in the
list of discarded messages, which are mostly spam.

> I'm trying to superimpose structurally similar
> proteins with different sequences.  Can this be done
> using the approach in the example analysis.py except
> using only C alphas?  That is, apply the configuration
> of one to the other and then find the transformation
> back to the original.  I have the impression that it
> can but I can't figure out how to generate the c_alpha
> only configuration which I can then apply to the
> moving protein.  Is there a better approach?  Any help
> would be appreciated.

I would do exactly what you propose: do the superposition on the basis
of the C-alpha atoms.

Constructing a C-alpha model is simple enough, just add

	model = 'calpha'

to the PeptideChain or Protein constructor. The tricky part is ignoring
the sequence information, because even a C-alpha model still has a
primary sequence and MMTK will refuse configurations that don't match
it. The simplest solution is to discard the sequence information right
from the start by mutating all residues to glycine.

I have made a C-alpha version of the example "analysis.py" which will
be in the next release. It is also attached for immediate inspiration.

Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
E-Mail: hinsen at llb.saclay.cea.fr