[MMTK] netcdf on linux - undefined symbol: _fxstat

Peter mmtk at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jul 15 23:19:26 CEST 2004

hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr wrote:

>> Doing "rpm -q netcdf" tells me its "netcdf-3.4-4", while the version
>> I  had downloaded, compiled and installed under my home directory was
>> 3.5.1
>
> 3.4 is fine as well for most applications. It has a bug concerning the
> handling of very large files under Linux, which is the main reason for
> updating.
>
> But if you have 3.4, your SuSE Linux is in fact quite old.

Turns out its actually Mandrake 9.2, and that some of the machines have
already been update to Mandrake 10.

I followed your suggestion of installing my own copy of Python under the
home directory and that seems to have solved the netcdf _fxstat problem.

I also switched from installing the python modules with:

setup.py install --home=~

to:

setup.py install --prefix=~

which might also have been important.

I've also accidentally discovered that the MMTK database code doesn't
like the database mini-script files to have DOS/Windows style newlines
if running on Linux.  Easily fixed with dos2unix.

Fingers crossed that's the worst of the installation pain over :)

Peter